Scouts, Scouters, Parents and Guardians,
March 26- MUNSTER SPRING BREAK. NO SCHOOL = NO MEETING.
April 4-6 – Starved Rock Campout. 533 camping boot camp instruction.
May 16-18 Calumet Council Spring Camporee. Location TBD.
June 6-8 OA Spring Fellowship. Camp Betz . OA members only.
June 21-27 NYLT Participant week. Camp Betz . You must be first class and 13 years old to attend.
Excerpts from a speech given by Eddie Snow, Oakland #3, at the District Assembly May 18th, “If You Were Arrested For Being A Rotarian, Would There Be Enough Evidence To Convict You?” These are St. Edward Wrestling Coach Howard Ferguson’s “Paradoxical Commandments of Leadership.”
1. People are illogical, unreasonable and self-centered.
Love them anyway
2. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.
3. If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies.
4. The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.
5. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable .
Be honest and frank anyway.
6. The biggest men with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest man with the smallest mind.
Think big anyway.
7. People favor underdogs, but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
8. What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
9. People really need help, but may attack you if you do help them.
Help them anyway.
10. Give the world the best you have and you’ll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best your have anyway.
A leader is best
When people barely know that he exists,
Not so good when people obey and acclaim him,
Worst when they despise him.
“Fail to honor people, they fail to honor you,”
But of a good leader, who talks little,
When work is done, his aim fulfilled.
They will all say, “We did this ourselves.”
- Only the President and Governors of the State can order flags on government buildings to be flown at half staff.
- When a flag is no longer serviceable or repairable, it should be destroyed in a dignified manner, such as burning.
- It is acceptable to wash or dry clean an American flag when it is soiled or otherwise dirty.
- You do not have to destroy a flag that has touched the ground. If it becomes dirty, the flag should be cleaned.
- The Flag Code does not prohibit any individual from having the flag draped across a coffin. The deceased does not have to be a veteran to have the flag draped on their coffin.
6 Tips for Knife Safety
#1- Cut Away, Not Toward
Always cut away from yourself whether using, sharpening, or cleaning your knife.
#2 – Right Tool for the Job
Don’t use a knife for unintended purposes (it’s not a screwdriver, hammer, ice pick or pry bar!).
#3 – Right Knife for the Job
Learn how to use all types of knives safely and choose the correct one for the job at hand. Whenever possible, use a retractable knife. Always check to make sure you have the appropriate tool available.
#4 – Give Your Full Attention
When working with a knife, give the job and knife 100% of your attention. Don’t allow distractions!
#5 – Sharp Knives are Safe Knives
Always keep your knife sharp — dull knives require more force to cut and are more likely to slip.
#6 – Let it Fall
Never try to catch a falling knife, no matter how instinctive it is. Just move out of the way.
Whenever a posting, like this, is added to the troop website all registered users are automatically sent an e-mail detailing the latest item. The key is registered users. Currently there are 58 e-mail addresses on the list. Sometimes I can tell who that person is by reading the address. Other times the address cannot be easily deciphered as to who it is. So if you change your e-mail address you will need to register that new address by following the link Sign up for the newsletter.
If you have never received the automated notifications then you need to sign up.
If you are signed up and want to be taken off the list then just send me a note and I’ll take care of it.
I can only delete addresses from the list. Only you can add yourself. Once you put in your address a confirming notice will be sent to that address. If still want to be added then reply as instructed.
Scouts and Scouters,
An unbiased selection process was used to assign scouts to either the Thundercats or Badger patrol. Check out the link on the troop’s web page to see your patrol mates. You can find the listing on the right hand column under DIRECTORY.
BSA has added several new merit badges. Right now there are no counselors to go to for these badges. If you are so inclined and have the expertise in these areas then I encourage you to sign up as a counselor at the Scout office. It’s easy and rewarding.
- GAME DESIGN
- SCOUTING HERITAGE
- SEARCH & RESCUE